Puffing Billy Railway is committed to offering an enjoyable experience for everyone and has a range of accessible facilities available for our passengers.
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our visitors.
Please note that between the platform and the carriage there is a gap which will require passengers to step up/step down when boarding or alighting the train.
We require advice of any accessibility requirements prior to travelling so we can appropriately accommodate your needs and booking. There are accessible carriages where a ramp can be used to assist passengers with access requirements (including wheelchair users). To pre-book these carriages, please contact our customer service centre via email email@example.com or phone 03 9757 0700.
Car Parking and Arrival
PATHWAYS | Pathways to Belgrave, Lakeside and Gembrook stations as well as the Lakeside Visitor Centre are all wheelchair accessible.
- ACCESSIBLE CAR PARKING SPACES | There are two designated accessible car spaces at Gate 3 at Belgrave Station in Old Monbulk Road, Belgrave (view map here). From there, access to the station platform is via a ramp (the bottom of the "zig-zag path"). Wheelchair users should please note that this ramp is steep. If you require further assistance getting from here to the platform, please contact us on 9757 0700 or 9757 0721.
- DROP OFF AREA | To assist passengers with reduced mobility and to avoid our steep pathway entrance to Belgrave Station, passengers may be dropped off at Gate 4 (view map here) which is in front of our Belgrave Station building in Old Monbulk Road. The area from the station to the platform is on one level.
Lakeside Station & Lakeside Visitor Centre
- ACCESSIBLE DESTINATION | The Lakeside Visitor Centre, located within the Emerald Lake Park Precinct, Emerald Lake Road Emerald (view map here) is an accessible destination with ramp access throughout the centre and a Changing Places Adult Change Facility.
- ACCESSIBLE CAR PARKING SPACES | There are two designated accessible car spaces in the Lakeside Visitor Centre car park. From there, access to the station platform is via a ramp.
- VEHICLE ACCESS | Wheelchair users and other visitors with access requirements are encouraged to contact the Lakeside Visitor Centre Booking Office on 03 9757 0642 between 9:00 am - 3:00 pm to arrange vehicle access to the building. A Puffing Billy Railway team member will assist with access and ensure easy entry into and exit from the centre.
- PRECINCT ACCESSIBILITY | Emerald Lake Park features many wheelchair and pram friendly paths, as well as ramps in most locations.
Boarding and travelling onboard the train
- CARRIAGE RAMPS | Our station platforms are not at the same height as our carriage doors, however, ramps are available to provide easy boarding of our accessible carriages. Please see one of our friendly volunteers on the day of travel for assistance. The wheelchair ramp width is 75cm.
- ACCESSIBLE TOILETS | Available at Belgrave, Lakeside and Gembrook station.
- CHANGING PLACES | A Changing Places toilet is available in the Lakeside Visitor Centre. There are no toilets on board our heritage carriages.
SMALL STROLLERS RECOMMENDED | Due to the narrow carriage doors, we highly recommend that you bring a small, folding-type stroller or pram for your trip onboard Puffing Billy Railway. For you to have the pram with you in your carriage, it must fit underneath the seats. Prams that don't fit underneath the seats of the carriages will be stored in a different carriage and will be available for you when the train stops at your destination.
BABY CHANGE FACILITIES | Baby change facilities are available at all stations.
BOTTLE WARMING | A microwave is available in the baby change room at Belgrave station. Alternatively, please approach the staff at our refreshment rooms or the Railway Café, and they will be able to assist.
HIGHCHAIRS | Highchairs are available in Lakeside Visitor Centre's family friendly Railway Café, along with a kids menu for the little ones to enjoy. Find out more about dining at the Lakeside Visitor Centre here.
Use this social story to plan a visit to Puffing Billy Railway with children. Read it online or download the PDF document to print.
At Puffing Billy Railway, some areas are busy with a mix of multimedia, loud noises, low light, indoor exhibits, loud trains and/or strong smells. However, there are also quiet, light areas that are further from the train and with fewer people.
Ever wondered what Puffing Billy's train whistle and engine sound like? Have a listen here!
Puffing Billy Railway welcomes visitors who use assistance dogs certified by a registered authority.
Assistance dogs must be restrained by a harness or leash at all times.
Please note: Assistance dogs are the only dogs allowed aboard Puffing Billy Railway.
BOOKING TICKETS | When booking online, please advise us in the "Notes" section of the booking that you will have an assistance dog accompanying you on the day. If you have any questions, please contact our friendly Customer Service Centre team on firstname.lastname@example.org or (03) 9757 0700 during their opening hours: 9.00 am - 4.00 pm Monday - Friday and 8.30 am - 12.30 pm Saturday - Sunday.
A Puffing Billy Railway audio guide is available.
The player includes transcripts and is compatible with screen readers.
Welcome to Puffing Billy
Australia’s favourite historic steam train, Puffing Billy, is found in the heart of the Dandenong Ranges just one hour east of Melbourne. Built in 1900 to serve the local communities that lived in the hills, the famous Puffing Billy provided transportation for a wide variety of cargo ranging from passengers to timber, livestock, potatoes and plants. Today, Puffing Billy Railway invites visitors to experience this century-old tradition every day of the year, except Christmas Day, thanks to the tireless efforts of more than 600 dedicated volunteers. Embark on a journey back in time and indulge your nostalgia for yesteryear by taking a trip aboard this living piece of history!
Feel the magic of steam train travel from the moment you arrive, as you inhale the smoky scent of steam billowing out of the vessel’s chimney and are greeted by the evocative sound of the train’s whistle. Climb aboard the open-sided carriages for a peaceful journey through the magnificent Dandenong Ranges. Relax and inhale the fresh air of the surrounding temperate rainforest, brushing past lush fern gullies and under towering mountain ash trees.
Be lulled by the gentle rhythm of the engine as it meanders over the hills. Feel the rumbles and bumps of the track below and be invigorated by the wind whipping across your face as the train rumbles over trestle bridges, down the valley and into the fresh crisp forest on the original mountain track between Belgrave and Lakeside.
Both Belgrave and Lakeside station platforms have tactile ground surface indicators installed.
- EXCURSION TRAIN | Companions travel Free Of Charge onboard Puffing Billy Railway's daily, open side Excursion Trains and their client (who holds an Australian Government issued concession/health care card) pays a concession fare.
- FIRST CLASS DINING | Companions get 50% regular fare off lunch trains to cover the food costs and their client (who holds an Australian Government issued concession/health care card) pays a concession fare.
- BOOKING TICKETS | To book tickets with a Companion Card, please contact our friendly Customer Service Centre team on email@example.com or (03) 9757 0700 during their opening hours: 9.00 am - 4.00 pm Monday - Friday and 8.30 am - 12.30 pm Saturday - Sunday. Companion card must be presented at the Booking Office on the day of travel.
General Website Enquiry - with topic drop down list
Prefer to call? (03) 9757 0700
For general enquiries and bookings, contact our Belgrave office during their opening hours:
- 9.00am – 4.00pm AEST, Monday to Friday
- 9.00am – 12.00pm AEST, Saturdays and Sundays