EXPERIENCE A VIRTUAL JOURNEY OF ENDLESS DISCOVERY AT PUFFING BILLY RAILWAY!
FOUNDATION - VCE
Join a Puffing Billy Railway Education Officer live in an interactive online learning experience. Students will:
- Connect with nature through the magnificent forests of the Dandenong Ranges.
- Learn about the importance of community and environment.
- Hear stories of the past and present and begin to treasure the characters of the railway.
Our virtual excursion programs offer:
- A virtual adventure through the magnificent forests of the Dandenong Ranges onboard Puffing Billy Railway.
- Access to enthusiastic and passionate Puffing Billy Railway Education Officers.
- A range of online programs to suit all abilities and age groups.
- Pre and post resources for teachers and leaders.
- Student workbooks to support learning.
- Programs that are linked to The Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF) and The Victorian Curriculum.
Programs on offer
Foundation - Year 2
ALL ABOARD! | Calling all students for a virtual journey of endless discovery at Puffing Billy Railway and connect with nature on a virtual adventure through the magnificent forests of the Dandenong Ranges. Develop an understanding and appreciation of place and importance of community. Treasure the characters and the stories of past and present with online videos, student workbooks and learning resources.
Year 3 - Year 4
STEAM MACHINES | Join an Education Officer live from the comfort of your own classroom and connect virtually with nature on an adventure through the magnificent forests of the Dandenong Ranges. Develop an understanding of natural areas and the importance of protecting places of special significance. Learn about railway systems, materials, and energy. Discover the role of people in design and technologies occupations and investigate design solutions to meet past and future community needs.
Year 5 - Year 6
STEAMING STEM | Join an Education Officer live from the comfort of your own classroom and connect with nature on an adventure through the magnificent forests of the Dandenong Ranges. Using the power of STEM based inquiry, examine and explore the past and present design and technology systems of the railway. Students think critically, explore ideas, and gather information.
Year 7 - Year 8
INNOVATION STATION | Join an Education Officer live from the comfort of your own classroom. Students will observe and analyse various technologies and energy sources used by the Railway throughout its history. By understanding forces, tools, materials, engineering systems and the costs required by the railway they will investigate and brainstorm ways to create an innovative new Railway product, that is sustainable for the future.
Year 9 - Year 10
PUFFING BILLY PATHWAYS | Through the lens of both staff and volunteers, students evaluate the job roles on offer at the railway and the effectiveness of various departments to enhance the visitor experience at Puffing Billy. They investigate the growth of tourism at Puffing Billy and examine management and techniques being used to ensure Puffing Billy is environmentally, socially, culturally, and economically sustainable with many jobs for young people in the future.
SUSTAINABLE TOURISM AT THE RAILWAY | Through the lens of ethical tourism, students evaluate the effectiveness of measures taken at Puffing Billy Railway to enhance the positive and/or minimise the negative impact of the Railway on the surrounding environment. They investigate the growth of tourism at Puffing Billy and examine management and techniques being used to ensure Puffing Billy is environmentally, socially, culturally, and economically sustainable.
Virtual Excursion details and information
- Your online workshop will be hosted on Microsoft Teams.
- All you need is a computer or device with internet access.
- During the exclusive virtual excursion for your class, you will be able to use your camera and microphone functions.
- Students can also communicate with a Puffing Billy Railway Education Officer by typing in the chat box.
- We will send out a link to join the program to the booking teacher.
- Join us ten minutes before your start time. Arriving early will enable us to check any tech issues and start your session on time.
Please see below for Virtual excursion rates. We are committed to offering programs that cater to all abilities.
If your group has specific requirements, please let us know by contacting our team. Our online programs can be adapted to suit a variety of needs.
Virtual Excursion Terms & Conditions
- No refunds will be given after the Virtual Excursion session - it is your responsibility to ensure your student numbers are correct.
- Cancellation must be made at least 7 business days prior to your booked Virtual Excursion. If not, a cancellation fee of 50% will be charged with 48 hours’ notice and a 100% cancellation fee for 24 hours or less notice will be invoiced.
- Should Puffing Billy be unable to run this Virtual Excursion that you've booked, we will endeavour to transfer your booking to another date, however if this is not possible, a full refund will be given. In this instance, we will notify you of the cancellation by email and / or phone as soon as possible.
Teacher and Student Resources
Puffing Billy Railway offers a range of curriculum-linked resources, based around the topics of Energy / Force / Motion, Past and Present, Design and Technology and Biodiversity.