Pack a picnic and bring your kids to Puffing Billy!
Puffing Billy travels through the magnificent forests and fern gullies of the Dandenong Ranges from Belgrave, only one hour east of Melbourne.
This kids’ favourite is open every day of the year except Christmas Day. You can even dangle your legs over the side of the carriage – if you dare!
Buy your tickets online, beat the queues and enjoy one of Melbourne’s best activities for kids! With special discounted family fares and up to six trains running daily, there’s plenty of opportunity for a family-fun day out!
suggestions for a day out with kids
- Recommended Puffing Billy Journey: Belgrave to Lakeside return OR Lakeside to Gembrook return. View timetable
- Duration: Minimum 3 hours
- Cost: Family ticket valid up to 2 Adults and 4 Children – View fares
- Food: Pack a picnic or purchase lunch from our station kiosks, the Lakeside Tea Rooms or nearby cafes.
- Other activities: Lakeside station is located within Emerald Lake Park, and is the perfect destination for families! BBQ facilities and picnic tables make this an ideal place to relax alongside the lake. Passengers can pack a picnic or purchase lunch from the café. Playground facilities and paddle boats (for hire) are available to keep the kids entertained. On hot days in summer, the kids can cool off in the park’s wading pool! Check out the Cardinia Outdoor Pools’ Facebook page for updates on opening hours, which are subject to the weather forecast (usually published the evening prior).
Buy tickets online
Discounted family fares are available from $114.
Plan your visit
Puffing Billy is located only an hour from Melbourne CBD.
Top Family Experiences
Our region is perfect for a wonderful family adventure!
Facilities for families
Puffing Billy Railway is committed to offering an enjoyable experience for everyone and has have a range of family friendly facilities available for our passengers. Find out more
View video about Emerald Lake Park
Courtesy of Cardinia Shire Council