Since 1900, Australia’s premier preserved steam railway has transported over 11 million passengers through the magnificent landscapes and lush greenery of the Dandenong Ranges.
For more than 100 of those operating years, Puffing Billy Railway has shared a truly iconic experience that cannot be found anywhere else in the world – sitting on the sill of our traditional open-side carriages with your legs hanging out!
Almost every Melburnian has a special memory on board Puffing Billy, chugging through the forest, rolling hills and open farmland with legs hanging over the side as they marvelled over soaring wooden bridges and quaint historic stations. A true thrill for young and old!
After a short temporary suspension of this much-loved activity, Puffing Billy Railway is thrilled to bring back the time-honoured tradition of passengers sitting on the carriage sills!
We can't wait to welcome adults and children back to share in the excitement of its return, and to ensure you have an experience that is both safe and fun, we need your help by following all safety instructions below.
- Children will receive a coloured wristband to wear. Where wristbands are worn, the supervising adult must ensure they remain visible to assist our friendly conductors in confirming all children are being correctly supervised.
- Children under 4 years of age are not permitted to sit on the carriage sills.
- Adult supervision is required for children 4-13 years of age when sitting on the carriage sill – this means a maximum of 2 supervised children per adult within arm’s reach.
- An adult sitting on the carriage sill must not supervise more than one child who is also sitting on the carriage sill.
- All adults travelling with children must maintain the physical ability to monitor and provide supervision at all times.
- When sitting on the carriage sill, make sure you remain seated - no standing or climbing on the carriage sill.
- Sitting on the carriage sill is only permitted from Belgrave Station to Lakeside Station. Passengers travelling Lakeside Station to Gembrook Station cannot sit on the carriage sill at this time.
- No person will be allowed to sit on the carriage sill after sunset or during school excursions.
- No person will be allowed to sit on the carriage sill during special events like Day Out with Thomas.
- Sitting on the carriage sill is not recommended for expectant mothers or passengers with back, neck, or similar conditions.
- Loose items should be secured before sitting on the carriage sill.
- Do not open any carriage doors.
- And last but certainly not least, get ready to hang onto the carriage bars and have fun!