ARRIVING ON TIME
Puffing Billy is located in the Dandenong Ranges, only 40 kilometres or one hour east of Melbourne. Getting to us is easy by car or on public transport.
When travelling on Puffing Billy, guests are required to check-in at the booking office 60-minutes before the departure of the train.
Check-in at the booking office closes 30-minutes before the train departs.
PLEASE NOTE, it is your responsibility to arrive on time. The train cannot be held and will depart at the scheduled time.
Select your mode of transport below to find out more about how to get to us!
Transport options to Puffing Billy Railway
PUBLIC TRANSPORT TO BELGRAVE STATION
Puffing Billy's Belgrave station is accessible by Metro Train from Melbourne CBD as well as bus from Melbourne's Eastern Suburbs.
To find your way from the Metro Train Station in Belgrave to Puffing Billy's station, follow the blue line painted on the platform for a short 2-minute walk along an accessible pathway to Puffing Billy Railway. If in doubt, ask the station attendant - they will be able to point you in the right direction.
Please note that to travel on public transport in Melbourne you will need a myki card. For Metro Train Timetables for the Belgrave Line, head to Public Transport Victoria's Journey Planner.
Please note that if you are travelling on an experience departing from Lakeside station, we recommend that you travel there by car instead as public transport is limited. Please refer to the information about driving to Lakeside station below.
DRIVE TO BELGRAVE STATION
Please note that there is no parking at the station on Old Monbulk Road.
If you or someone in your travel party has accessibility requirements, please use the drop-off zone at Gate 4.
A designated bus lane is available for passenger drop-off located adjacent to the Belgrave Station entrance.
Parking is available at the following locations at Belgrave:
- Belgrave Metro Train Station, with 640 car parking spaces and 16 accessible car parking spots. enter via Belgrave-Hallam Road/Bayview Road/Old Monbulk Road Roundabout in Belgrave View Google Map
- Bayview Road, 2 Bayview Road, Belgrave View Google Map
- Belgrave Town off the Burwood Highway, Hillside Court, Belgrave. (Next to Australia Post) View Google Map
- PATHWAYS | Pathways to Belgrave are wheelchair accessible.
- ACCESSIBLE CAR PARKING SPACES | There are two designated accessible car spaces at Gate 3 at Belgrave Station in Old Monbulk Road, Belgrave (view map here). From there, access to the station platform is via a ramp (the bottom of the "zig-zag path"). Wheelchair users should please note that this ramp is steep. If you require further assistance getting from here to the platform, please contact us on 9757 0700 or 9757 0721.
- DESIGNATED BUS LANE | A designated bus lane is available for passenger drop-off located adjacent to the Belgrave Station entrance.
- DROP OFF AREA | To assist passengers with reduced mobility and to avoid our steep pathway entrance to Belgrave Station, passengers may be dropped off at Gate 4 (view map here) which is in front of our Belgrave Station building in Old Monbulk Road. The area from the station to the platform is on one level.
DRIVE TO LAKESIDE STATION AND VISITOR CENTRE
ROAD DAMAGE ON BELGRAVE-GEMBROOK ROAD
If you will be travelling to our Lakeside Station from Melbourne's Eastern Suburbs via Burwood Highway and through Belgrave, please be advised of the following:
Due to recent heavy rainfall, there are active landslips on the main road between Belgrave and Lakeside station at Selby. A lane closure is in place. The site is open to all traffic travelling in both directions via 1 shared lane. Vehicles must comply with the reduced speed limits and traffic management conditions. For the latest updates, visit the VicTraffic website here.
We encourage you to allow extra time to reach Lakeside Station at this time, either by travelling via this route or alternatively driving via Belgrave-Hallam Road (C404) and Wellington Road (C413). View Google Map.
There are two carpark options in the Emerald Lake Park precinct:
- Lakeside Visitor Centre carpark (200+ spots) - to access, turn left at the fork on Emerald Lake Road, cross over Lake Treganowan and past the railway level crossing. Follow this road around and past the bus drop-off and accessible parking zone. General parking is to your right.
- Lakeside carpark (114 spots) – to access, continue straight and past the fork on Emerald Lake Road where you will find a cul de sac of car park spaces.
Council-operated ticketed machines apply - 2 for 2hrs / $8 for a full day. Tickets do no apply for bus parking.
- ACCESSIBLE CAR PARKING SPACES | There are two designated accessible car spaces in the Lakeside Visitor Centre car park. From there, access to the station platform is via a ramp (refer map above).
- VEHICLE ACCESS | Wheelchair users and other visitors with access requirements are encouraged to contact the Lakeside Visitor Centre Booking Office on 03 9757 0642 between 9:00 am - 3:00 pm to arrange vehicle access to the building. A Puffing Billy Railway team member will assist with access and ensure easy entry into and exit from the centre.
- DESIGNATED BUS PARKING | A designated bus drop-off and pick-up point is located in the Lakeside Visitor Centre carpark.
- PRECINCT ACCESSIBILITY | Emerald Lake Park features many wheelchair and pram-friendly paths, as well as ramps in most locations.