Who we are
Puffing Billy is Australia’s foremost operating steam railway, and one of the largest narrow-gauge heritage steam railways in the world. Its history spans a period of 120 years. Remarkably, for more than half that span, it has operated as a volunteer-based not-for-profit body. Puffing Billy Railway is operated by the Emerald Tourist Railway Board.
The narrow-gauge line between Belgrave and Gembrook in Victoria survives as one of the most intact examples of pioneering railway infrastructure in Australia. Its steeply graded banks, trestle bridges, line-side telegraph, signalling and rolling stock are of an era elsewhere replaced by modern technology. This railway takes its “era of significance”, dating from 1900 to 1930, seriously. This emphasis has held the Organisation in good stead over the years and is the key to understanding the philosophy which drives the Emerald Tourist Railway Board in achieving preservation goals.
Why be a partner
Puffing Billy is proud to offer a collaborative partnership opportunity for tourism businesses in our region.
Puffing Billy will recommend your business as a place for our visitors to EAT, STAY or DO in conjunction with their visit. By partnering with Puffing Billy, your business will be aligned with a respected organisation in the Dandenong Ranges.
Some key statistics:
The partnership package is free
The partnership is a collaboration between two aligned tourism businesses, and there is no cost to you.
How to qualify
All Puffing Billy partners will fall into one of the following categories:
All partners are required to have a COVIDSafe Plan. Evidence of this must be produced at the time of the prospective partner’s Expression of Interest.
How does it work?
A Puffing Billy partnership comes with the following benefits and commitments:
PARTNER COMMITMENT | To list Puffing Billy on your website. Content will be provided to you. If you don't have a website, arrangements will be made on a case by case basis.
Social media posts
PARTNER BENEFIT | Puffing Billy will promote your business via 2 x specific posts across our social media platforms.
PARTNER COMMITMENT | Puffing Billy will provide you with content for publishing 2 x posts on your social media channels per year promoting Puffing Billy.
PARTNER BENEFIT | Puffing Billy will display a poster encouraging visitors to explore places to EAT, STAY and DO nearby. This poster links to our website where our partners' listings are displayed - refer above.
PARTNER COMMITMENT | To display a minimum A4 size Puffing Billy poster on your premises.
Sell Puffing Billy tickets
OPTIONAL BENEFIT | Exclusive access to our online agent portal. Receive a commission on pre-booked Puffing Billy Railway experiences. You can incorporate Puffing Billy tickets into a package or sell them as a standalone to visitors to your business. T&Cs apply.
Becoming a partner
To start the process of becoming a partner, please complete our Expression of Interest Form below.
Expression of Interest Form
The details provided in this form will enable familiarisation with your business and determine whether there is alignment with Puffing Billy Railway’s family branding. The purpose of this partnership is to provide a value add to not only partners but visitors to the region.
Terms & Conditions
- The partnership agreement is valid for 12 months from the date of signing.
- The content of the partnership program is subject to change.
- All content provided will be reviewed by Puffing Billy Railway prior to publication.
- All partners' businesses must be aligned with Puffing Billy’s family branding and Safeguarding Children and Young People Statement of Commitment.
- A partner is required to adhere to their obligations including placing a Puffing Billy listing on their website, posting about Puffing Billy on their social media channel(s) and displaying a Puffing Billy poster at their property.
- Puffing Billy Railway reserves the right to accept or refuse any partner Expression of Interest at their discretion.
- After the initial twelve month period, Puffing Billy Railway will consider an extension if the partner obligations have been met.
- All partners are required to have a COVIDSafe Plan. Evidence of this must be produced at the time of the prospective partner’s Expression of Interest.
- Puffing Billy Railway reserves the right to cancel any partnership if the partner’s business practices during the period of the contract conflicts with the organisation’s family branding or Safeguarding Children and Young People Statement of Commitment.