Puffing Billy Preservation Society
The Puffing Billy Preservation Society (PBPS) is incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee (ACN 004 621 505) (ABN 79 004 621 505) and has a membership in the order of 1,000. It was first established on 8 June 1955.
Upon formation of the Emerald Tourist Railway Board (E.T.R.B.) in 1977, the P.B.P.S. Executive Committee (with additional co-opted members) continued as manager of the Railway, and roles previously reserved for V.R. staff (e.g. safe working & rolling stock maintenance) became available to volunteers.
With the growth of railway activity and of paid staff numbers, the E.T.R.B. established a separate management committee but with continued strong Society representation.
Puffing Billy Preservation Society Executive Committee 2017-2018
Jeff Goodwin (President), Jean Clowes (Vice President), Tim Heeks (Secretary), Bob Cochrane, Russ Bowen, Ben van der Linde, Neil Kingswood, David Baker.
Become a member
As a Society Member, you play an important part in the moral and financial support to the continued preservation and restoration of the Puffing Billy Railway - Australia's Premier Heritage Steam Railway. Also, you have the opportunity to contribute to policy making through voting for the Executive or standing for office.
The members of the Puffing Billy Preservation Society are our strength towards maintaining the railway for future generations to enjoy.
Today the P.B.P.S. has some 900 members and is governed by an elected Executive Committee of 12, with half retiring each year.
It publishes a quality magazine, Narrow Gauge, each quarter, organises events including The Great Train Race and Santa Special, and contributes annually towards capital projects on the Railway, most significantly the restoration of historic locomotives and rolling stock.
Membership of the society carries no obligation to participate in voluntary activities on the railway, however active volunteer participation is encouraged.
Your membership includes:
- Subscription to the high-quality PBPS quarterly journal 'Narrow Gauge'.
- Unlimited travel for members and up to two guests on Excursion Trains.*
- 25% discount for members and one guest and 15% discount for additional guests on the Steam & Cuisine Train if booked and paid by the member.
- 15% discount for members and guests on Dinner Trains, themed dinner specials, Day out with Thomas, chartered trains and all group bookings.*
- 15% discount on gift vouchers when purchased by a member.
- Discounts on purchases from our Refreshment rooms.
- Advance information about Puffing Billy events and news.
- 20% discount for two on presentation of your current membership card at Rippon Lea House, Polly Woodside and Old Melbourne Gaol.
- Knowing that you are contributing to the preservation and development of a unique part of Australia and its history.
- Discounted membership of Victorian Railways Institute (on application).
*Conditions: the member is responsible to make and pay for the entire booking and which is subject to availability. Free travel is not available during peak periods.
2018/2019 Membership Fees
Membership is for the financial year 1st July 2018 to 30th June 2019.
Senior Life Membership: $1,370.00
Sign up today!
- Download your membership form here.
- Submit your membership application;
Post: PBPS Membership PO Box 451, Belgrave VIC 3160.
Your application will be submitted to our Executive Committee for approval, and once approved, your application will be processed. Due to a change in the PBPS Executive Team, new membership applications are currently unable to be processed until Tuesday 23rd October 2018.
Once you have received your card in the mail*, you can start to enjoy the benefits of being a member of the Puffing Billy Preservation Society.
Please note: Free travel is not valid between 26th December 2018 to 27th January 2019, or Good Friday to Easter Monday inclusive (19th – 22nd April 2019). However, a 15% discount applies during these periods. Free travel is not available for special events, including gala days.
* We aim to have your application completed approximately four weeks after receipt of your application.
As part of your Membership, you will be able to obtain your copy of the current Narrow Gauge Magazine
Narrow Gauge is the quarterly journal published by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society and features articles of historical interest, information about our people as well as current and future developments on the railway. Here's a sneak peek of the latest issue...
Want to see more? Join the society now for your regular issue!
2018 PBPS Annual Report
View the report here.
Puffing Billy Preservation Society Constitution
View a copy of here.
P: (03) 9757 0700