G Class

You are here: Home » Preservation Society » Rolling Stock » Locomotive Fleet » G Class

g42onbridge.jpg

Traffic and train loadings on Victoria's narrow gauge railways reached their peak during the 1920s. To assist in handling the longer, heavier trains, the Victorian Railways ordered two larger, more powerful Beyer Garratt locomotives. These were delivered in 1926 and were numbered G41 and G42. They were sent to work on the Colac–Beech Forest–Crowes line and the Moe–Walhalla line respectively. After the line from Moe closed in 1953, G42 was sent to Colac, where it worked with its mate, G41, until closure of that line in mid-1962.

G41 had been in poor condition and was scrapped, whereas a brighter future awaited G42. The Victorian Railways offered G42 to the Puffing Billy Preservation Society, for display as a static exhibit in the Menzies Creek Museum. Over time, a plan evolved to restore G42 to operation, a goal that was eventually achieved by the launch of G42 back into traffic in 2004.

G42 now continues to operate as a beautifully restored member of the Puffing Billy Railway's locomotive fleet.

 

No. originally constructed: 2

No. in service: 1 (No. 42)

Boiler pressure: (lb/sq. in) 180

Boiler heating surface: 1268 sq ft (117.8 m2)

Tractive effort: (85%) 26,860 lbs (12.18 t)

Driving wheel diameter: 36" (91.44 cm)

Max axle load: 9t 5cwt

Length Overall: 51' 7" (15.72m)

Height Overall: 10' 8" (3.28m)

Date of manufacture: 1926

Manufacturer:  Beyer Peacock

Place of manufacture: Manchester UK

Locomotive Type:  Garratt

Coal capacity:  70 cwt

Cylinder diameter: 13" (33.02 cm)

Cylinder stroke:  18" (45.72 cm)

Wheel arrangement:   2-6-0+0-6-2

Roadworthy weight:  69t

Water capacity:  1680 gal (7,637.43 l)