Rolling Stock Classifications and Numbering

You are here: Home » Preservation Society » Rolling Stock » Carriage Fleet » Rolling Stock Classifications and Numbering

NAB

COMBINED FIRST-CLASS AND SECOND-CLASS PASSENGER CAR. Four were built during 1906-1909, numbered 1-4. With the cessation of first-class facilities on the narrow-gauge, they were reclassified NB between 1916 and 1923 and renumbered 24-27 to fit into the NB numbering sequence.
24NB

NB

There were three types: -Nos. 1-6 were Saloon cars having end platforms and a ladies toilet, and were built from 1899-1904. Nos. 7-23 were 5-compartment side loading cars, built from 1906-1915.
Nos. 24-27 were the former NAB class cars mentioned previously and were also side loading, having 6 compartments and two ladies toilets.
2NBC

NBC

COMBINED SECOND-CLASS PASSENGER CAR AND GUARD'S VAN. Six cars, numbered 1-6, were built during 1898-1905 and originally classed NBDBD. The D was previously the letter code for Brakevans/Guard's Vans, but was changed to C when the double-letter code was dropped in 1910. A final NBC numbered 7 was added to the fleet in 1910.
8NBH

NBH

SECOND-CLASS EXCURSION CAR. The H was recognising their use for "Holiday" traffic. 15 of these cars were built in 1919 and numbered 1-15. Two more were built in 1981, and numbered 16 & 17. Two extended versions for wheelchair passengers were built in 1981 & 1983. These were numbered 51 & 52 - a separate number series due to the different type of vehicle.

Six, numbered 18-23, were built in 1997-98. These had steel frames, padded seats, and a wide "window sill". At first glance they look the same as the previous NBHs. There are other minor construction differences due to the use of steel framing. 18NBH entered traffic 19/4/1997; 19NBH on 5/12/1997; 20NBH on 19/12/1997, the others added in 1998.

2NC

NC

BRAKE VAN/GUARDS VAN. No. 1 was built in 1909 as NDD and reclassed NC in 1910. Four more were built during 1912-1915 numbered 2-5, No. 6 was added to the fleet in 1919.
21NQR

NQ/NQR

OPEN MEDIUM TRUCKS. 218 of these goods vehicles were built between 1898 and 1914 numbered 1-218. Originally, these wagons carried the code letter R as they were built with sides and ends. Some later had the R removed if they regularly ran as flat wagons without theh sides and ends. Over the years, a number of NQRs were provided with removable wood and steel frameworks with canvas roof canopies and side curtains, and internal seating to supplement the rest of the passenger stock during busy holiday periods.
Puffing Billy has re-created these for emergency capacity. Five more NQRs, numbered 219-223, were built between 1990 and 1992 initially for passenger use so were fitted with the removable frames.

NQ

Pulpwood wagon. In the 1950s, NQR 19 was modified by the removal of its sides and ends and the installation of intermediate upright staunchions to carry pulp-wood on the Beech Forest line. This modification was permanent and the vehicle became 19 NQ.
149NQ

NQ

WATER TRUCK. This vehicle (No. 149) is an NQR without sides and with a 2000-gallon (9000-litre) water tank fitted. Over the years of V.R, operation a number of NQs were fitted with water tanks, but retained their NQ code and number.

(For a number of years this vehicle carried the classification NWT but retained its number in the NQ numbering sequence).

13NMM

NMM

CATTLE TRUCK. Four of these were built during 1899-1901 and eleven more were built during 1909 and 1917, a total of 15. They were numbered 1-15.
1NH

NH

COVERED TRUCK. Built in 1910 as 1NPH, this combined powder and goods wagon was the only one of its type built. It was reclassed NH later the same year when the explosives or powder compartment was converted to carry general goods.
1NTT

NTT

INSULATED TRUCK. Built in 1899 and numbered 1, it was the only one of its type built.
14NU

NUU

LOUVRED TRUCK. Seven louvre vans for carrying general goods were built during 1899-1901, with another one in 1906 and a further six in 1911, a total of 14 louvre vans numbered 1-14.
The term Louvred Truck describes the sides which consist of fixed louvres for ventilation. The aim was to keep the goods inside cool.