The Great Train Race isn't simply a race amongst the competitors - it's an exciting challenge competing against the steam locomotive, Puffing Billy!
The race route extends 13.5 km's through the hills and fern gullies of the picturesque Dandenong Ranges from Belgrave to Emerald Lake Park. The continual popularity of this unique run makes the Great Train Race an event not to be missed.
The Great Train Race is organised by Puffing Billy Railway volunteers.
The Great Train Race is an annual fundraiser for the Puffing Billy Preservation Society – this years contribution will again go to Menzies Creek Museum redevelopment project.
GTR 2017 EVENT INFORMATION
|Date||Sunday 30th April 2017|
|Cut off time||120 minutes | 11:30am|
|Start Line||Belgrave - Gembrook Rd, Belgrave Victoria|
|Finish Line||Lakeside Station: Emerald Lake Park, Emerald|
|Age Limit||13 yrs +|
|Registrations Open||Until Sunday 19th March 2017|
|Registrations Close||2pm - Friday 28th April 2017|
|Qualifying Standard||75minutes, 10km flat|
- The maximum number of runners competing in the 2017 Great Train Race is 3,200 competitors.
- Whilst the course is 13.5km in distance, it consists of a hilly route, using public tarmac, dirt roads and multi-purpose trails.
- Competitors are recommended to have a solid base of training to complete the course.
- The 2017 Great Train Race is not a walking event, with strict cut off points along the route. Whilst we understand competitors may need to walk at some points (especially up those gruelling hills) its’ expected that all runners can run the majority of the way.
- Note: Prequalifying time is required when registering for the 2017 Great Train Race.
Not ready to run this year?
That's ok! It is a challenging run after all. Join our Mailing List today so that you are notified when the entries open for next year's Race! If you have run previously, you might want to Update Your Details in our database.
Update details Join mailing list